Friday, April 20, 2007

This Week in the News

No formal post this week as I have been busy. However, a few random thoughts:

  • I reviewed a good chunk of Atty Gen. Gonzalez' testimony yesterday. While the internal contradictions, numerous caveats, and tortured verbiage ("I now understand I had a meeting with President..) are fodder for comedy, it is sad that the nation's lawyer is such an obvious dissembler.
  • I see that within the last two weeks that both George Will and Newt Gingrich have conceded that 1) global warming exists, 2) its caused by human factors and 3) the consequences merit immediate action. Considering that both these guys were formally in the "denier" camp, progress is being made.
  • Big Pharma won a victory this week by killing the idea of negotiating drug prices . Once again we have a decision that provides a windfall to a small group while costing the rest of us.
  • I see the White House is still insisting on the canard that any admission of a military defeat in Iraq is "not supporting the troops." I really don't blame the White House. What are they gonna do? Its the only card left in their hand. I blame anybody who still plays along with it.
  • I heard John Kerry speak this week. I disagree with John Kerry on some things and sometimes his Boston marble mouth and the overwhelming dryness of his public persona gets annoying. But it still boggles my mind that any sentient being thought it was a good idea to vote for the President instead of Kerry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home