Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oh Jesus Christ, Hillary

Sen. Clinton pulled out the goddy thing again:

"I have ever since I've been a little girl felt the presence of God in my life. And it has been a gift of grace that has for me been incredibly sustaining. But, really, ever since I was a child, I have felt the enveloping support and love of God. And I have had the experiences on many, many occasions where I felt like the holy spirit was there with me as I made a journey."


No sweetie, that was just the valium.

What is troubling here is not religious faith, but the narcissism that seems to accompany it. Millions of Americans have religious faith, use that faith to inform their moral decisions, and believe they will be judged in the after life. Fine. But why does that faith so often have to be transformed into this kind of "I am special" cants? They are insipid and perhaps denigrating to other, less solipistic, forms of faith. I am not sure I am ready for another Commander in Chief who believes their life and decisions are somehow divinely inspired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home