Monday, March 26, 2007

This morning the alarm went off far too early for any reasonable man. Before I had time to react the radio announced that it had been a "bad weekend" in Iraq. Ever helpful and sensitive to my ears, NPR warned me that the upcoming story contained information regarding the death of children.

Snooze alarm.

The most valued of American perogatives in this age, the snooze alarm. Big fat button bar buys you six more minutes.

Some time ago, at the beginning of this horrible mess, I received an e-mail from a friend, a friend with some 16 years of Christian education behind her, stating that "people are dying. That is what happens in war." The tone suggested that to expect anything different was hopelessly naive and childlike. A kind of "deal with it" mentality. I remember thinking that in 2003 anno domani we should be able to do a bit better than "people die in wars."

We have. We invented the snooze alarm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home